Thursday, July 2, 2015

12x12 Series

The Westside Art Quilt Guild members are doing a 12" 12" monthly challenge. Each month we are creating a 12" x 12" art quilt based on a word. This is the first in my challenge series based on the word fly. The fabric is a ice dye. The feather is is done with free motion machine embroidery. I added some fabric paint to the feather to give it some dimension. At the tip of the the background swirls is a tiny hand sewn pearl bead. 

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Happy July!

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Baby Bibs

I whipped up these baby bibs for a couple of my daughter's teachers who were having babies this summer. I used an existing bib as a pattern and added a tab to hold the all important pacifier! 
I picked up this bib at Walmart in the closeout isle for .50 cents. Such a deal! I use an old file folder as the material for my template. 
I cut one front from a cotton fabric and one back from a light weight flannel. And, a tab for the pacifier that was 2"x5". 
With right sides together, I pinned the front to the back marking a 4" opening that I used to turn the piece right side out after sewing a 1/4" around the entire bib. Turn right side out through the 4" opening you left on the bottom of the bib. 

Fold the tab in half, right sides together, and sew 1/4" from the raw edge. Turn right side out and press with a hot iron. Attach Valcro to one end of the tab and the other half of Valcro to the bottom center of the bib. Tuck the seam allowance to the inside of the bib and sew as close as you are comfortable to the edge of the bib all the way around.  

Attach Valcro to the neck piece and you are done!

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Ink Blots

I've been taking a host of skillshare classes. Nearly everything I've taken is outside of my comfort zone. Here are some drawings I did in my "Drawing Daily Monsters" class. The class, taught by Stefan G. Bucher, shows you how to take ink blocks and create creatures that range from cuddly to creepy.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Fall Leaves Quilt

I love fall - the way the leaves puddle on the ground in a riot of color. For this small art quilt (8"x10") I used a photo I had taken on a hike of leaves on the ground. I threw it in Photoshop and stripped the color out. I then printed it on to Lesley's Artist Transfer paper and ironed it on to white cotton fabric. I used free-motion stitching in black thread to give the leaves definition and shape. I then used Inktense pencils to add a watercolor-like feel to the piece. I also used PaintStixs to highlight some of the areas.

Friday, May 15, 2015

Pebble People

You never know what inspiration lies right at your feet. I took this rock back to my studio, wiped it off and use some acrylic paint to turn it into my creative muse.